Wednesday, April 9, 2008

5 outside miles

I got to run outside today which was great! When I got to the end of the road I always run down, I had to choose to go either left, nice and flat, or right, up the "connector." The connector is a huge hill, 3/4 of a mile long! I decided this would be the last chance I had to run up the connector or any hill before the marathon, so I turned right. I kept thinking about the one nasty hill on the marathon course that is around mile 7, or so I hear. Today I powered up the connector like it was nobodies business!! Then I had the joy of turning around and running back down it like a maniac! I looked at my garmin halfway down and saw I was running at a 7:30 mile pace. Hehe. I ran faster than normal back to home because I wanted to have an average pace of around 9:45, my anticipated marathon pace, and even though I was powering up the hill/connector, it was still slow. Well, I did it. I averaged 9:43. But it was harder than I thought it should be. So now I'm worried about trying to do that for the marathon. However, my five mile run had 1 full mile of serious uphill! Of course that means it had one full mile of serious downhill. I just have to try not to over think this too much!

2 comments:

kelly said...

wow, 9 days!
and it sounds like you're feeling better?
hurray!

Kelly(M&M) said...

You are doing so great! Way to choose the hill. I, on the other hand, am avoiding hills. :-)